ONLINE: Venezuela’s crisis from global perspectives
What are drivers, transitions and pathways out of Venezuela’s crisis?
Photo by Hugo Passarello Luna.
The webinar can be viewed here:
This webinar launches a special issue of the European Review of Latin American and Caribbean Studies (ERLACS) on the crisis in Venezuela. Through nine articles on the deterioration of democracy, the economy and citizen’s security, and internationally sponsored processes to address it, it applies comparative methods and academic perspectives to open new debates on the drivers, transitions and pathways out of Venezuela’s crisis.
The special collection and the webinar is hosted by the Oslo Academy of Global Governance at the Centre for Development and the Environment (SUM, University of Oslo), and co-sponsored by the Washington Office on Latin America (WOLA).
Eastern Standard Time: 9.00 - 12.30
Central European Time: 15.00 - 18.30
Part 1: Democratic deterioration and the prospects for a negotiated solution
Time: 9.00-10.30 EST / 15.00-16.30 CET
2. Francisco Alfaro: Political archipelagos in a storm: Coalitions, actors and autocratization.
3. Leiv Marsteintredet: With the cards stacked against you: challenges to a negotiated transition to democracy in Venezuela
4. Javier Corrales: Democratic backsliding through electoral irregularities: The case of Venezuela
Part 2: Economic and security crisis in a changing world order
Time: 11.00-12.30 EST / 17.00-18.30 CET
1. Natalia Gan: Rule of law crisis, militarization of citizen security, and effects on human rights in Venezuela
2. Tom Legler: A story within a story: Venezuela’s crisis, regional actors, and Western hemispheric order upheaval
3. Alejandro Cardozo Uzcátegui and Víctor Mijares: The versatile amalgam: Interests and corruption in Russia-Venezuelan relation
Special Issue on the crisis in Venezuela
In European Review of Latin American and Caribbean Studies (ERLACS), 2020.
Research on Global Governance
Read more about the research group on Governance for Sustainable Development and the Oslo Academy of Global Governance - A leading arena for knowledge development and dissemination on global governance for sustainable development in all its dimensions.