My academic interest lies within the fields of political and development geography, with a specific focus on women and energy. My specific research interests are women’s everyday life, gender relations and religion in a larger setting of aid and development discourse. The regional focus is mainly South Asia with research experience from India and Afghanistan.
- SUM 4019 Consumption, Sustainability and Social Change
- SUM 4100 Research Methods and Project Design
- SUM3000/4000 - Development and environment: From theory to practice
- SUM1000 - Miljø og Utvikling (Norwegian)
- UTV1000 - Innføringsemne i utviklingsstudier (Norwegian)
- Bachelor in Asian and African Studies with specialisation in human geography and Middle East and North-Africa Studies from the University of Oslo.
- Master of Science in human geography with specialisation in political geography and emphasis on politics and development in the South. Title of Master thesis: Giving Light and Hope in Rural Afghanistan – The Impact of the Norwegian Church Aid’s Barefoot Approach on the Women Beneficiaries.
- Deputy board member, Centre for Development and the Environment, 2015 -
- Chairman of the board, Nordic Forum for South Asia, 2015 -
- Co-moderator, Nordic Forum for South Asia, 2015 -
- Project-coordinator, Arne Næss Chair, 2010
- Project-coordinator, Ceres21 – Sustainability for the 21st century, Centre for Development and the Environment,2010
- Erik Blytt stipend, Centre for Development and the Environment, 2007 - 2008
- Student board member, Centre for Development and the Environment, 2007 - 2008
- The Energy and Resource Institute (TERI), India concerning their project; “Innovating to bring clean energy for livelihood generation in India”.
- Standal, K., Winther, T., 2016. Empowerment through Energy? Impact of Electricity on Care Work Practices and Gender Relations. Forum for Development Studies, 2015.
- Standal, K. 2010. Giving Light and Hope in Rural Afghanistan: Enlightening Women's Lives with Solar Energy. Lampert Academic Publishing
- Standal, K. 2008. Giving Light and Hope in Rural Afghanistan: The Impact of Norwegian Church Aid's Barefoot Approach on Women Beneficiaries
- Lighting the Path Towards Gender Equality: Training Women as Solar Engineers in Afghanista (E-net- Energy network)
- Winther, Tanja; Matinga, Margaret N.; Ulsrud, Kirsten & Standal, Karina (2017). Women’s empowerment through electricity access: scoping study and proposal for a framework of analysis. Journal of Development Effectiveness. ISSN 1943-9342. 9(3), s 389- 417 . doi: 10.1080/19439342.2017.1343368 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Standal, Karina (2016). The Globalizing Effect of Solar Energy Access on Family and Gender Relations in Rural India. Asia in Focus. ISSN 2446-0001. s 14- 22 Full text in Research Archive.
- Standal, Karina & Winther, Tanja (2016). Empowerment Through Energy? Impact of Electricity on Care Work Practices and Gender Relations. Forum for Development Studies. ISSN 0803-9410. 43(1), s 27- 45 . doi: 10.1080/08039410.2015.1134642 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Standal, Karina (2010). Giving Light and Hope in Rural Afghanistan Enlightening Women's Lives with Solar Energy. Lampert Academic Publishing. ISBN 978-3-8383-6520-6. 125 s.
- Holmelin, Nina; Standal, Karina & West, Jennifer Joy (2018). Gender and Climate Change.
- Standal, Karina (2018). Bildeling, okey, men hva med maten?. KLIMA - Et magasin om klimaforskning fra CICERO.
- Westskog, Hege & Standal, Karina (2018). Sharing in neighborhoods..
- Standal, Karina (2017). Den vanskelige energibalansen, Kirgisistan. KLIMA - Et magasin om klimaforskning fra CICERO.
- Standal, Karina (2017). «Ring når han prøver å drepe deg». Aftenposten (morgenutg. : trykt utg.). ISSN 0804-3116.
- Standal, Karina (2017). ShareOn – Kartlegging av deling i Nedre Djupedalen vel.
- Standal, Karina & Winther, Tanja (2016). Elektrisitet redder liv. KILDEN : informasjonssenter for kjønnsforskning.
- Standal, Karina & Winther, Tanja (2016, 19. desember). Empowered by electricity. [Internett]. Kilden.
- Standal, Karina & Winther, Tanja (2016, 12. februar). Equal Participation in Solar Projects Can Empower Women. [Internett]. The Quint.
- Waldrop, Anne; Nielsen, Kenneth Bo; Standal, Karina & Wilhite, Harold Langford (2016). Editor's Introduction. Special Issue on Family and Gender in Globalising India. Asia in Focus. ISSN 2446-0001.
- Winther, Tanja; Palit, Debajit; Matinga, Margaret; Saini, Anjali; Govindan, Mini; Ulsrud, Kirsten; Standal, Karina & Gichungi, Henry (2016). Exploring Factors that Enhance and restrict Women’s Empowerment through Electrification (EFEWEE). Scoping study report.
- Winther, Tanja; Standal, Karina & Hansen, Arve (2016). Gender, energy and consumption.
- Standal, Karina (2015). Thinking Beyond the Box: Addressing Afghanistan's Gender Inequality the 'Barefoot' Way. Tvergastein. ISSN 1893-5605. (6), s 20- 27
- Standal, Karina (2014). Between the Body and the Field: Reflections on Doing Fieldwork in Rural India as a Pregnant Researcher.
- Standal, Karina (2014). Modern Energy and Women: Implications for Empowerment and Women’s Care Work within the Family.
- Standal, Karina (2012). Energi som likestilling. argument. ISSN 1504-6087. 2, s 28- 29