- Sexual, reproductive and maternal health
- Africa, Malawi, Mozambique
- Global health
- Medical anthropology
- Development, NGOs
- Interdisciplinary research
Current research project
My PhD research focuses on dynamic interactions between NGOs and local communities, health and education services in Malawi. In particular, I focus on how those interactions shape the implementation of interventions aimed at improving adolescent reproductive health and girls’ education and how these interventions relate to girls' lives. I have conducted 9 months of ethnographic fieldwork in a rural area in Mangochi District, Malawi. This research is part of a GLOBVAC funded project that explores the role of International NGOs in the formulation and implemenation of global maternal health policies in Malawi (NGOMA).
- Master's degree in Medical Anthropology and Sociology – University of Amsterdam (2013-2014). My fieldwork in northern Mozambique focused on sexual discourses and practices and how youth navigate the competing and changing norms related to tradition, economic development, and NGO interventions.
- Teacher in Social Psychology and Cross-Cultural Psychology, Trainer Intercultural Communication – Bachelor of Applied Psychology, Hanze University of Applied Sciences (2013-2014)
- Evaluation research focusing on youth mentoring projects in the Netherlands. University of Groningen/ Institute for Integration and Social Efficacy (2009-2012)
- Bachelor's degree in Applied Psychology – Hanze University of Applied Sciences (2007-2011). Thesis topic: Qualitative evaluation and policy advice focusing on the collaboration between the Public Health Service and immigrant community-based organizations in Groningen, aiming to improve sexual and reproductive health among ethnic minorities.
Pot, H. (2017). Primary schools as arenas for improving reproductive health: experiences of Malawian teachers in dealing with aid fragmentation. Poster presented at The 10th Conference on Global Health and Vaccination Research (GLOBVAC), March, 2017 Trondheim, Norway.
Pot, H. (2016). 12 NGO’er drev bistand på én skole (Geir Ove Fonn, interviewer). Vårt Land [Newspaper article] 2016-12-09
Pot, H. (2016). Dealing with aid fragmentation [SUM blog, Centre for Development and the Environment, Oslo, Norway]. http://www.sum.uio.no/english/research/blog/the-sum-blog/hanneke-pot/aid-fragmentation.html
Roalkvam, S., Mvua, P., Storeng, K., Chunga, J., Pot, H., Kloster, M.O., Adolfsson, J., Chinsinga, B. (2016). NGOs and the transfer of global maternal health policies. Poster presentation at Norwegian Global Health Networks with Impact, 20. April 2016 Bergen, Norway [winner of best poster award].
Pot, H. (2014). Exchanging sex in the bush: navigating competing sexual norms among Makhuwa youth in northern Mozambique [Master's thesis]. University of Amsterdam.
Vos, M.W., Pot, H., & Dotinga, A. (2012). Met mentoring naar de top! Evaluatieonderzoek stimuleringsprogramma mentorprojecten. University of Groningen/ Institute for Integration and Social Efficacy
Pot, H., with Finyiza, G. (2017, July). The girl effect in local realities: Malawian girls’ (im)mobility. Presentation at LOVA International Conference "Ethnographies of Gender and Mobility", Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Roalkvam, S., Pot., H. (2016, November). Global policies, local fragmentation: the impact of International NGOs on health development. Presentation at NORHED Conference, Oslo, Norway.
Pot, H. (2015, March). Teenage pregnancies in context: Striving for modernity in rural Mozambique. Paper presented at The 9th Conference on Global Health and Vaccination Research (GLOBVAC), Oslo, Norway.
Pot, H. (2014, October). Exchanging sex in the bush: navigating competing sexual norms among Makhuwa youth in northern Mozambique. Paper presented at Share-net International "Linking Research, Policy and Practice - Students and NGOs", Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Kloster, M.O., Pot, H. and Roalkvam, S. (2015, November). The girl effect – what happened to gender and development? Lecture at the NORHED-funded master program Master in public administration at Chancellor College, University of Malawi.
- Pot, Hanneke (2017). Primary schools as arenas for improving reproductive health: experiences of Malawian teachers in dealing with aid fragmentation.
- Pot, Hanneke (2017). The girl effect in local realities: Malawian girls’ (im)mobility (with Gertrude Finyiza).
- Pot, Hanneke (2016). Dealing with aid fragmentation (SUM blog) .
- Pot, Hanneke & Fonn, Geir Ove (2016, 09. desember). 12 NGO’er drev bistand på én skole . Vårt Land.
- Roalkvam, Sidsel; Storeng, Katerini Tagmatarchi; Chunga, Joseph; Mvua, Peter; Pot, Hanneke; Kloster, Maren Olene & Chinsinga, Blessings (2016). NGOs and the transfer of global maternal health policies .
- Pot, Hanneke (2015). Teenage pregnancies in context: Striving for modernity in rural Mozambique.
- Pot, Hanneke (2014). Exchanging sex in the bush: navigating competing sexual norms among Makhuwa youth in northern Mozambique.